Sunday, January 8, 2017

'Armour' form SanderS: Battletech Favourites

Hoi Folks,When thinking of armour, images of armoured vehicles thundering over chaotic battlefields or knights in shining armour come to mind first and foremost for many of us. Now even though I have some conventional armour lined up, for painting this Challenge, I have chosen to go a different path: that of the absolute best form of armour available to man from 3025 and onwards. Some of you may have guessed it from my mentioning of the year 3025: I am going to list a lance of Battlemechs from the Classic Battletech universe.

While I fully realise that many of you might not have heard of this game or the miniatures, I will be prone to use terms and references to the game which I cannot explain in full here but for those of you interested enough, go have a peak at the Sarna March (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Sarna_March) wiki and all will be explained.

To me Battletech is probably the one game I like to play best and immerse myself in it's background totally. With a huge range of novels, sourcebooks, computergames and a RPG you cannot but get hooked. The shear amount of digital support, sites where you can get literally hundreds of paintschemes, (http://camospecs.com/) online armybuilders and fan-sites is incredible and gives you quite a lot of choice to pick the unit you want to paint. The game is in 1:285 ish scale, but the 'mechs shown here are just about a bit bigger than 28mm figures. I have been playing this game for some 15 years now and keep renewing interest by reading novels or picking pieces out of sourcebooks. For I while I have been looking into some new units to paint and stumbled along the 17th Recon Regiment or Camacho's Caballeros. (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/17th_Recon_Regiment). For those in the know: they are a regiment created from the South Western worlds who are part of the Free Worlds League. They sided with the wrong throne pretender and had to flee FWL-space. As a mercenary force they enlisted with the Federated Commonwealth Armed Forces to fight the Clans and gained some Clan 'mechs and gear. They subsequently were hired by a scion of the Kurita family, the ruling family of the Draconis Combine. This is all described in 3 novels written by Victor Milan, who has done a brilliant job of transplanting Mexican, Native American and Old West style peoples into the 3060's in a more or less believable way. 

"Enough of the babble get on to the miniatures!" I hear you scream at the screen, well yes but I had to tell you all this to explain my colourscheme since there we encounter a problem. While there are canon colourschemes for about all units mentioned in the fluff, the 17th Recon is an exemption. In the novels it is stated that all mechwarrior of the unit are allowed to chose their own scheme, so no uniform colours are apparent. This might actually work in a piece of written fiction, but less so on the tabletop. So I had a long think about what to do, the easiest solution is to seek the middle way; in my eyes this would be taking one unifying colour enhancing it with unique markings for each separate mechwarrior. In order to achieve this I went online to look for inspiration, there's loads of Mexican, Texan, Native American and even Aztec patterns available but they are in the brightest and most conflicting colours you can imagine. As a unifying colour, or base-colour, I had to make due with a more subdued one, so I went with brown.

Well here are the figures in their full and clashing of colours glory!



The full lance (i.e. unit of 4 mechs) from left to right: a Conjurer (captured Clan mech), Catapult (missile battery mech), Rifleman (AA or FLAK mech) and a Phoenix Hawk. 




Some details of each vehicle are shown below.

The Rifleman was piloted by Lt. Annie Sue Hurd and since this was my trial figure I went easy on the patterns for this.





The Phoenix Hawk is listed in the books but has not got a named character driving it, you could say it's the 'llero version of a "red-shirt". On this one I went a bit further with the patterns.




The Conjurer (or Hellhound as it is known in the Inner Sphere) is not mentioned in the books, but it IS stated that the 'llero's made off with a lot of Clan mechs and since I really like the model it got drafted in.








My absolute favourite is Diana Vasquez's Catapult. I really like the flower pattern I put on there and the contrast with the very loud and uncomplimentary leg scheme.







All mechs have spaces left uncovered with patterns because I ordered decals with the unit logo (a coyote howling at the moon of course) from Fighting Pirannha (http://www.fightingpirannhagraphics.com/), who have decals for just about ALL the thinkable CBT units. Plus quite some useful more generic decals like numerals and pin-ups.

Well that basically concludes my entry for this bonus round!

Cheers Sander

S.L.I. van Straeten


34 comments:

  1. Is it the first of November already...?

    That's some festive-looking armour, Sander, well don!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to see another CBT painter. I love your freehand flowers, etc. Always nice to see unseen favorites like Rifleman and Phoenix Hawk. Who made the buildings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew, yes the Unseens are really nice, I don't have them all but I happily own two Riflemen and some others as well. I couldn't tell who made the buildings, I found them in a discount bin at some German convention ages ago, sorry.

      Delete
  3. Awesome! I have been thinking about this cool game a lot lately so this might have tipped me over to finally buy it. Good memories of playing this fun game. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's heaps of fun there, and 4 mini's already give you a decent force to fight with!

      Delete
  4. I like the contrast between the plain brown and the bright patterns. Those roses are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, I am pretty happy with them too ;-)

      Delete
  5. Great background story and the painting detail on the patterns and flowers is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Sander. I like the rose pattern on that Catapult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rod, I am constantly thinking of other mini's I can adorn with them too!

      Delete
  7. Really nice job! The detailing is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie, in the really close close-ups you can see where I went wrong or crooked, so I left those out ;-)

      Delete
  8. Thanks Christopher, that's nice of you to say!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's some awesome freehands, especially the flower pattern! Haven't played Battletech in over 20 years, this brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iannick, it truly is a really nice game. Still love it a lot, but get to play it far too little.

      Delete
  10. Loving the freestyle work Sander, great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was Michael, had great fun choosing patterns and colours. And since it is 3060 something I could take a very futuristic approach to the way they see the "old" Mexican style. As you say, great fun!

      Delete
  11. As a long time Battletech player I do like all the mechs you have shown. I mostly piloted a Griffin so that would be in my top 4 mechs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, I have a Griffin, but painted him up as a Davion mech. Have not yet had the chance to play with him though.

      Delete
  12. Loving the detail work on these, very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great minis, love the colour details they are kind of mech tattoos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Peter, it is a great way of personalising the mechs. I am now on the look out for some other mechs mentioned in the novels to see how I can embellish these.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are really nice, good designs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great work Sander. Battletech was one of the first miniature wargames I witnessed. This brings back some good memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, it seems that a lot of people played CBT "back in the days" did you have a favourite faction?

      Delete
  17. Really lovely painting, Sander....fantastic (and very cool) freehand work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sidney, it was loads of fun painting them!

      Delete