Sunday, February 18, 2018

'Childhood' from: SanderS: I love it when a plan comes together!

Hoi there,

Some time ago I posted on my blog that I had been honoured to be asked to be a Minion, Iannick then said that was cool and he could guess what I would enter in this Theme round. Well I think he was under the impression it was going to be more GIJoe, so therefore I reckon he did not see this one coming!

Being born in 1980 means I got on the wrong side of the 80's since the 90's had not properly started yet and everyone had a fresh 80's trauma to get over with. The Dutch television networks were always behind the trends so many an American 80's cartoon was released over here late in the 90's and that's were all this comes from.

So let's see what figures have originated from TV series have taken my fancy ok? First up are my regular Mystery Inc. crew. The figures are from Hasslefree and I already have painted their Post-Apoc versions earlier.



These figures I bought on a whim and have been lying in wait for some time. This theme round seemed what I needed to get them done.















What's next? Well, another awesome series that I viewed in the 90's was the A-Team and since the Germans had commercial networks before us and therefore had more money they could afford to buy and air it. That said they do German voice-overs making the guys in the series sound mighty dumb...


The figures are Wargames Foundry's B-Team and I must say while they get the dress down pretty good, the faces are a really bad likeness to the real actors. A further problem was the miscasting of Face, look at his frontal picture to see what I mean.

















The bases for all the Mystery Inc and A-team figures are TTCombat resin scenic bases.

All of those are great but my absolute favourite of this batch are the following six figures, now you surely know what they are based upon right?





Yes that's right He-Man and the Masters of the Universe! Have you seen the "Toys that made us" series on Netflix?It has an episode on both GIJoe and He-man and how these were created, I just loved it. He-man has something downright cool, even if he's far ahead in fashion style.




















 



These figures have Renedra plastic bases, except for Skeletor whose feet were too far apart and so I had to get a resin one.

When painting these I have watched the new 2002 series and that is basically what you would have wanted the older series to have been but I like both. Must be nostalgia, I bought the miniatures off an Etsy shop and don't believe they are available elsewhere. 

For some more 80's love:





Since there are so many nostalgic female heroes in there: Daphne, Velma, Amy, Teela and Evil Lynn, I think I would like to put this post up for Sarah's Choice.

So that's me done for this bonus round, I am off to finally get some 1:72 Napoleonics done.

27 comments:

  1. Great figures, especially the He-Man ones. I saw some of the 2002 series and loved it. I just wish it was possible to buy a copy in UK format

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoi Paul, I watched them all on Youtube, the link's in the post above ;-)

      Delete
  2. Not one but 3 teams of awesomeness, all very familiar to me too and beautifully executed. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, yeah well I couldn't really choose and need the points to get to my 1000 points target. I initially had even planned a 4th team but that will have to wait some more...

      Delete
  3. Ah, Scooby Doo - that takes me back to my childhood. Great painting on these. I have a 10 year old who is obsessed with Scooby Doo - although this is the re-booted modern version - not a patch on the original (although the villain is still usually the caretaker!)

    Cheers,

    Richard C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, yeah those cartoons were great, you always knew how it would end but not in what way and who dunnit ;-) usually the caretaker indeed.

      Delete
  4. I really love those Scooby Doo figures. Hassle Free, correct? That was my favourite cartoon as a kid for the longest time, and you did an excellent job bringing them to life here. Great work. I keep looking at those and keep meaning to pick them up, but never do, you may just have twisted my arm into ordering them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct kind sir Hasslefree do produce figures with clothes on, contrary to the opinion of some high-ranking Challengers ;-) I have both their regulars and the post apoc versions.

      Delete
  5. Nice!! He-Man was also in my plan, but life is really screwing with me this challenge. Really cool submissions, bless the 80s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iannick, you started it all with your remark as it made me adamant not to go for GIJoe. Sorry that life is getting in the way but it will all work out in the end I am sure.

      Delete
  6. What a fabulous entry, you were clearly inspired by this round Sander. Brilliant job and I love the bases too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If these aren't true to the theme, I don't know what is!

    A terrific range of entries from across the spectrum of 80s TV, well done, Sander!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes well I originally had planned to include the characters from the Dungeons and Dragons series from Antediluvian as well but time was too short...

      Delete
  8. Nice work on all three of the crews, Sander. I'm too old for He-man, but I recognize him thanks to my extremely young cousins!
    I like Scooby-Doo and the gang them best, but that us some very fine freehand on the Ateam with Murdock jacket and the details on the others. Face could always get further game life by stepping in as the villain two-face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoi David, if I ever get into Batman the game, I will certainly consider using Face as Two-face. That said I think I am quite happy with them overall ;-)

      Delete
  9. Very fine entry Sanders and I watched a lot of Scooby Doo when I was a kid so thanks for the memories.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoi Christophers, I guess nostalgia is what this theme round is all about. I love reading all the stories everyone has with their entries. It was an inspired choice of Curt's to go for this subject.

      Delete
  10. Holy moly Sander, that’s three entries in one! Really nice and nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phyllion, that's what I was aiming for ;-)

      Delete
  11. What an amazing trio of entries! Shame about Face...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah well at least he looks the part from a little way off ;-)

      Delete
  12. Absolutely superb Sander. I think you captured the theme perfectly here. As I mentioned previously, I just love your Scooby Doo figures. Terrific stuff sir!

    ReplyDelete